History of shrine of abbas
shrine of Abbas or Abu Al-Fadhl / Abul-Fazl ‘shrine
The Staunch Advocate of Dignity and Sacrifice in Islam.
Abbas’s shrine is located 300 meters from the holy shrine of Imam Hussain (AS).
Abbas is the fourth child of Imam Ali (AS).
He is the eldest son of Umm al-Banun.
Abbas was the flag bearer of Hussain’s army in the battle of Karbala.
Other titles of Abbas include Qamar Bani Hashem, Alamdar, Bab Al-Hawaij, Abolfazl.
Abolfazl Ibn Ali had gone to the Euphrates to fetch water.
He was killed in a brave battle along the Al-qamah River with thirsty lips.
The enemies cut off his hands with which he was carrying the Waterskin so that he could not deliver the Waterskin to Hussain’s companions.
Due to Abbas’ distance from the camp of Hussain’s companions and the main site of the war, his body remained in the same area.
The Bani Assad tribe were the first to bury the dead in Karbala and mark them by planting a tree there.
The first pilgrims to the martyrs of Karbala were the same people of the Bani Assad tribe.
Jabir Ibn Abdullah Ansari is the first pilgrim of Karbala.
History of shrine of abbas
The history of Abbas’s shrine is the same as the history of Hussain’s shrine.
Because most of those who built the shrine of Imam Hussain (AS) also built the shrine of Hazrat Abolfazl (AS).
The first shrine of Abbas was built in 271 AH during the reign of Al-Buwayh.
Shah Tahmasb Safavid (Shah: King) in 1032 AH ordered the dome of his shrine to be tiled.
He also ordered that the courtyard and the roof of the halls be repaired and rehabilitated.
He sent exquisite and beautiful carpets to the shrine to be used in the shrine.
After Shah Tahmasb Safavid, Shah Safi continued the path of Shah Tahmasb and ordered to build four garlands on the four sides of the courtyard.
But in 1047 AH, the Ottomans invaded Karbala.
The people of Karbala took refuge in the shrine of Abu al-Fadl (AS) for fear of being killed, but in the end, the Ottoman army won the war and looted the shrine.
Nader Shah And shrine of abbas
Nader Shah Afshar, who was the greatest conqueror of the Orient, in 1155 AH, gave precious gifts to the holy shrine of Abbas.
Minister Nader Shah Afshar changed the coffin on the grave in 1172 AH.
In 1172 AH, Minister Nader Shah Afshar changed the shrine on the tomb and ordered the repair of the necessary places and gave a very exquisite light to the shrine.
During the Qajar period, Fath Ali Shah in 1216 AH, after the destruction and looting of the shrines of Imam Hussain and Hazrat Abbas by the Wahhabis, ordered the reconstruction of the shrine and its dome. Mohammad Ali Shah Qajar also rebuilt the shrine of Abbas in 1259 AH.
A few years later, in 1263 AH, the Ottoman king presented two large golden candlesticks to the shrine, which are still in the shrine.
in 1266 AH, another Ottoman king rebuilt and repaired the shrine, and in the same year he presented the curtains of a very valuable gift to the holy shrine.
In the same year, the ruler of India rebuilt the roof of the shrine with expensive wood.
Mohammad Shah Qajar in the thirteenth century AH erected a silver shrine in the holy shrine of Abolfazl (AS).
After a few years, in 1996, the dome of the shrine was gilded and an order was issued to build a golden shrine in Isfahan. This shrine was built in Isfahan and entered the city of Karbala during a glorious ceremony and was installed on the holy tomb.
All the destruction and reconstruction of this shrine are completely in accordance with the shrine of Imam Hussain.
The mansion of the shrine of Abbas ibn Ali
The shrine of Hazrat Abbas is rectangular and the tomb of Hazrat Abbas (AS) is in the middle of it.
Below the shrine is a corridor whose entrance opens from one of the porches and reaches the tomb of Hazrat Abbas (AS).
The tomb is right under the dome and on it is a precious box made of glass and on it is either a shrine.
New Zarih for shrine of abbas
In 1385 AH, a new zarih replaced the old zarih of the shrine of Abbas.
The ceremony was accompanied by a big celebration in Karbala.
On Tuesday, the twelfth of the holy month of Ramadan, equal to January 2, 1966, the installation work was completed, and on the night of the fifteenth of Ramadan, equal to the night of the sixth of January, it was unveiled.
This zarih was built and gifted by Iranians and is made of pure gold and silver.