Arbaeen Walk is the largest annual religious gathering in the world.
The ceremony involves a large number of Shiite Muslims moving to the city of Karbala, south of Baghdad. This million ceremony is one of the most powerful symbols of solidarity in the Shiite world. 40 groups of Shiite Muslims, some Sunnis, Christians and followers of other religions will also attend the gathering.
The reason for the Arbaeen gathering
This gathering is the 40th day after the killing of Hussain bin Ali, the third Shiite Imam in the Ashura event.
History of this conference
According to some scholars, the march on this day has been common among Shiites since the time of the Shiite Imams, so it can be seriously considered that this great conference is more than 1400 years old.
Reasons for diminishing and reviving the Arbaeen Walk Conference
With the arrival of cars in the region, horse and caravan travels and caravans diminished and travel was formed in a new way, but the Arbaeen enthusiasts were still going to Karbala on foot.
The march was banned under Saddam Hussain, and with the fall of the Ba’ath party, the Arbaeen march was revived in Iraq, and those interested are once again safe to attend.
Arbaeen Gathering Report
The number of people who entered Karbala in 2014 was reported to be close to 17 million.In 2014, according to the French newspaper Le Monde, more than 17 million people gathered in Karbala despite the threat of an attack (on the Arbaeen walk ceremony).
Other sources put the number of marchers on Karbala at 20 million this year, and in 2015 the Iraqi Minister of Roads announced that the number of Arbaeen pilgrims had exceeded 26 million.Up to 22 million pilgrims were reported in 2014 and 2015. Therefore, Arbaeen is the largest annual event.Since the Iraqi infrastructure is not provided to meet the needs of pilgrims, especially basic goods, part of these needs are met every year by Iran and other countries.In addition to Iraq, the 40th annual march is held in other countries such as the United States, Britain and Nigeria.
Arbaeen walking distance
The Iraqi people move to Karbala from all their cities, and they determine the manner and route of their march, considering the distance between their city and Karbala and Najaf. Some of these people determine their destination by plane or vehicle.
Iranian pilgrims choose the route from Najaf to Karbala for walking.
The walking distance between Najaf and Karbala is about 82 km. There are 1452 columns on the way from Najaf to Karbala, the distance between each column is 50 meters.
It takes about 25 to 30 hours to walk the entire route. The best time to start the journey is 16 zeros.
Pilgrims walk the Arbaeen procession with great enthusiasm.
The Mourning ceremony begins five days before Arbaeen with the arrival of the caravan of similitude and taziyeh battalions after that, the beating and chaining groups enter and the main ceremony begins on the fortieth day at two o’clock in the afternoon.
Nearby pilgrims stand at the entrance of Imam Hussain shrine while tapping on their chestsو They recite and repeat a lament, and at the end of the breast-raising, they raise their hands in a sign of salutation.
Equipment needed for the Arbaeen walk
Arbaeen walking is not an easy task at all,Choose the most suitable device.
- Take the medication you need for 10 days.
- You should use a strong and light backpack (such as a mountaineering backpack).
- Napkin roll.
- Personal towels.
- Washing liquid.
- Water bottle.
- Whole grain dry breads.
- Dried fruits.
- Charger and power bank.
- Sunscreen with SPF.
- Waist bag.
- Anti-burn cream.
- Baby powder.
- A few wound adhesives.
- An extra pair of socks.
- Chocolate (sweet chocolate quenches thirst, but dark chocolate is very good for energy and a good choice for a long walk).
- Sleeping bag (to protect you from dirt and cold if the places for rest are not suitable and cold. Carry with you.
The above are the minimum requirements for Start Arbaeen Walk.
- If you are not physically fit, Do not walk.
- Do not overdo water consumption due to the lack of water piping.
- Extreme climate change! So bring the right clothes for that season.
- Take care of your health and be sure to rest for half an hour after two hours of walking.
- Eat meals on time to avoid hypoglycemia and try to drink plenty of fluids such as tea, water, porridge, soup, which helps flush out infections.
- Given that people from different countries participate in this march, there is no doubt that there are moral and behavioral differences that usually represent the culture of their countries, so it is better to pay attention to our behaviors and respect the differences.
- Wear comfortable and light shoes and do not buy forty new shoes for walking at all, or at least wear them from a month ago and walk with them for one and a half to two hours a day. Choose shoes that fit well and do not sweat. Otherwise you may have muscle cramps and blisters in your legs.
Along the way, the processions will receive you in the best way!